In 2014, investment in clean energy totaled $310 billion, an increase of 16%, despite the fall in oil prices. Investment in R&D by governments and corporations totaled $14 billion and $15 billion, respectively. Investment in solar- and wind-energy rose 25% and 11% to $149.6 billion and $99.5 billion, respectively. Investment in “energy smart technologies,” such as electric vehicles and power storage, grew 10% to $37.1 billion. However, investment in biofuels fell 7% to $5.1 billion. Half of the total investment in 2014 was by the Asia-Pacific region, while the Americas, as well as Europe, the Middle East and Africa, each accounted for 25% of the total. China, the US, Japan and Europe invested $89.5 billion, $51.8 billion, $41.3 billion and $66 billion, up 32%, 8%, 12% and 1%, respectively.

Source: Bloomberg New Energy Finance

< | >